Saturday, September 29, 2007

Brier Island NS

Hi All,

Here are a few more images from the trip to Brier Island. I was really psyched to photograph whales, something I have been wanting to do for a few years. As often happens though, the best opportunities happen along the way. I guess it really is about the journey, not the destination.

the first two images below are prime examples of this. the were taken within 10 minutes of each other, while waititng for the ferry to Brier.

Image 1

Taken with a Canon Eos3, 300mm F4 Image Stabilized lens, Fuji Velvia 100 Film.

As I was waiting for the car ferry, this image appeared out of the fog. I couldn't believe my luck. I grabbed my gear, and ran back to a suitable spot to frame it. the scene kept changing, and normally would have hung around to keep shooting but I had a boat to catch!




Image 2, was taken while waiting for the same ferry, before the image above.

Again, the light kept changing, and I kept shooting, and this is my favourite image from the series of images made. I like the way the light is hitting the wharf, and the boat is silhouetted in the distance.




Image 3

A little cove in Grand Passage on the island, and the foggy morning caught my eye on this image.

Image 3, 4 and 5 made with a Canon EOS3, 70-200mm F4L lens, Fuji Velvia 100F Film.




Image 4


Made at Western Light, the western most point of land in Nova Scotia. It is a photographer's dream, as every day seems to be different there. The stunted trees are common along exposed areas.







Lighthouse at Grand Passage on the island. When photographing lighthouses, it is a good idea to wait until the beam comes around, as it adds more visual interest to the image. keeping the subject off centre is another method.

No comments: