Sunday, December 10, 2006

Barred Owl Sleeping




Howdy!
Here are 3 images from an encounter I had with a sleeping Barred Owl in October 06'.
I went for a hike in my "usual spot", sans camera gear and encountered this owl.
I usually see one about once a year in these woods from point blank range- always when I don't have my gear!
This time I hiked out ( about a half hour), drove home 11 miles, grabbed my gear and then travelled back to the spot.
Imagine my surprise when I found that the owl had not moved an inch!
2hrs., and a few rolls of film later -yes film, the owl woke up preended, stretched checked me out then flew about 100 hundred yards away to another perch.
Not wanting to stress it, I packed up, kissed the ground, thanked the gods and continued on my merry way.
an amazing experience, not to mention a great capper after being foiled for the last several years.
cheers,
Gary.

No comments: